Transit officials are reacting after a TTC employee was stabbed at TMU station on Wednesday, but the transit agency is reinforcing its commitment to safety with a plan released earlier this month. Here’s what you need to know.
At around 1:10 p.m. on Wednesday, Toronto Police Services (TPS) said it responded to a stabbing report at TMU Station (formerly Dundas Station).
According to police, the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries, and was transported to the hospital. A male suspect was arrested on scene and later also transported to the hospital with injuries.
Subway service on TMU Station was suspended due to police activity, and resumed at around 7:45 p.m., according to TTC.
Advertisement
--------------
Sign up to get the latest news on the ttcinsiderx.com
---------------
Advertisement|
TTC CEO Mandeep Lali issued a statement after the incident, saying he was “deeply disturbed” by the attack, and thanked police for arresting the suspect.
“We are deeply disturbed by the violent attack on one of our employees at Dundas Station today. This is an unacceptable act against someone dedicated to serving our customers and our city,” he said. “Our thoughts are with our employee and their loved ones, and we wish them a full and speedy recovery.”
The CEO also highlighted that safety remains a top priority for the TTC, citing their new safety program, which includes having police patrol subway stations and trains.
“We are working closely with [police] to ensure accountability and prevent such incidents. Violence has no place on the TTC.”
The incident takes place less than a month after a woman was arrested in connection to a hate-motivated incident aboard a subway train on Bloor-Yonge Station. The incident signals a concerning trend of hate-motivated incidents in the TTC, which have increased by 88 per cent in 2024 compared to the year before.
Comments (0)
No comments yet.
Please log in to post a comment.